Wednesday, January 5, 2011

1 Year Old!

Gibson had his one year appointment yesterday. It worked nice that Joe had the day off for the holiday so he could stay home with Layla while I took Gibs. The appointment was at 9:05 and I woke up to a quiet house at 8:10 and had to quick get myself ready and wake up Gibson.
Poor Gibs needed 5 shots plus a finger poke which he did not enjoy! The doctor also looked at the dry patches of skin on his back and said that he does have eczema (which I knew since my friend's son also has it). Because of the eczema the doctor said that he shouldn't have peanuts, shellfish, fish or treenuts until between ages 2-3. The link with his eczema is not that eczema causes any of those allergies, but that people with eczema often tend to be people with food allergies as well, so in order to hopefully (maybe) avoid having an allergy to those foods, the thought now is that if kids avoid them until they're 2 or 3 they may be able to prevent getting those food allergies. Who knows, that info seems to change all the time based on new studies, but if that will maybe prevent him from having those allergies, then I guess that's what we'll do! He's already had peanut butter and fish and done fine with it, but his dr. said that just b/c he didn't react now to those items, doesn't mean that he wouldn't develop an allergy to it over time. I'll have to get soybutter or something instead b/c he loves pb&j's!
He also has fluid on both ears which could explain his grumpy mood lately! He has definitely been hitting a crabby time nearly every evening lately! It could be that he's just getting over an ear infection or just getting one--hopefully the former! We go back now in about 6 weeks to get his ears checked again (fluid for too long in their ears can cause speech delays and probably isn't comfortable for them). He had an ear infection in November and then when he went back 6 weeks after that appointment (after being on antibiotics) he still had fluid on his ears, so I don't know if the fluid has remained this entire time or if it's new from the cold he has now?? Who knows, but he's had lots of colds this year and just when he seems to get better he gets sick again--and always about 2 days after being in church nursery. So frustrating! I'm ready for him to start being healthy and acting like his normal happy self! But other than those things, he's doing well! Everything else checked out good! Here are his stats:

Height: 29.5" - I think 25th-50th% but the dr and nurse told me different % so I'm not quite sure:)
Weight: 21 lbs 5.5 oz - 25th% I think
Head: 46.2 cm - 25-50th% I think

Since he's one and over 20 lbs according to the old carseat rule, he could switch to forward facing, but since they now recommend keeping kids rear facing until 2 (unless your carseat says to flip them sooner), we'll keep him rear facing for awhile yet. I'm a firm believer in carseat safety especially after seeing both of my kids basically untouched after being flipped upside down in an accident where our car was totalled!

He is in clothing size mainly 6-12 or 12-18 months although some of his 6-12 month pants are getting a bit tight:). He is totally off bottles now which I enjoy! I think the best part is my clear counter space where his bottle holder used to be:). He had been not wanting to take a sippy at all but is now doing fine with a sippy. He sleeps from 7pm until somewhere around 8am and then just recently dropped his morning nap (although sometimes that's still a struggle) and normally takes about a 3 hour afternoon nap.

His personality definitely seems to be different than Layla's already so it'll be interesting to keep watching him grow to see his personality come through more and more. He is getting better at listening to instructions (like telling him to put the block in the hole or whatever), but still often chooses to not listen to "no" :). His favorite room to get into trouble in is the bathroom with his recent "fun" activities consisting of flushing the toilet and throwing a bath toy in the toilet while Layla was going:). He's so sweet though too. I think one of the funniest things I find about him is how he just will suddenly take a break from playing or crawling or whatever and just lay down. It's like he just needs a little alone time for about 10 seconds:). He loves playing with his big sis and they actually rarely fight--probably b/c she takes toys away from him and he doesn't really care yet:). We love our little guy and are excited to see him grow and develop in the next year (and of course all future years to come)!

Going for a sled ride yesterday with sissy:). As soon as Layla saw yesterday morning that we had gotten a little more snow she wanted to go sledding, Joe took her when he got home:). (don't mind Layla's jammie pants:D)

Gibson at 1 month...

He has definitely filled out a bit more at 12 months:)...ha, I just noticed that Elv's head is in both of these pics:).

No comments: