Monday, July 25, 2011

20 Weeks

I'm happy to be 20 weeks pregnant! I'll feel a lot more at ease once I hit 30 weeks, but I'm also really happy with making it to this milestone and hopefully things keep going well! One day at a time, right? :) We had our ultrasound last week and the tech said the baby looked good, but I won't talk to my doctor about it until my next appointment which isn't for a few weeks yet. I'm assuming if there were any problems I would have heard by now. I was I think 19 weeks and 6 days when I went in and all the measurements were showing about 20 weeks and a day or 2--so right around where he/she should be. It's just such a relief to see that you baby has all the parts it needs to to be healthy! We decided before we went to for sure not find out and the tech said we made her job easier b/c every time she looked the legs were crossed anyway. Guess it was a sign that it was good we didn't find out:). It would be handy knowning for planning purporses, but it will be worth the "it's a..." in the end. Afterall, I need something to get me through labor, right? :) We didn't find out with Layla, but we did with Gibs. It was nice both ways, but since we're quite sure this is our last kid, this is our last chance to be surprised. Layla most of the day still thinks it's a girl which I think is partly what makes me feel like it's a girl. Today she came out of Gibs' room with a stuffed monkey and said, "This is my baby brother. But he needs to go to the hospital. Then he'll be my baby sister." Hopefully she doesn't think that if this baby comes out a boy we can just bring him to the hospital and make him a sister:). There are similarities to both my other pregnancies, but overall, I can't really tell--I feel like in certain ways all my pregnancies have been different yet there are many ways in which they've all been the same. I've been feeling a lot better the past few days so I think the nausea coming back again was from my UTI. I think that also part of the reason I think it's a girl is because we don't have a boy's name. I THINK we have a girl's name picked out, but have no idea for a boy (well, I like one and said that if we can't think of anything better, I guess that'll be it, but Joe isn't sold on it).

I had my first progesterone shot today. I don't think I've blogged about that before, but it's a shot that is relatively newer (approved by the FDA earlier this year) and has shown in studies that if you start getting the shot between 18-21 (ish weeks--I forget exactly what the recommended window is) up until like 36ish weeks, it helps prevent preterm labor. It's for people that are having a single pregnancy and have had a single preterm birth in the past. So I'm (as is my sister) the perfect candidate. Here's hoping it works! My doctor had mixed feelings on having me do it, but overall, decided we should try it. I have to get the shot once a week and whenever Joe can meet me at my dr's office to get trained one of these times, he'll start giving them to me at home since that'd be much more conveniant than having to go in every week. I think our baby's heartbeat was around 150 at our u/s. I really should look back at what Layla and Gibson's was to compare.

No comments: