Saturday, January 25, 2014

Arm

My poor little buddy broke a bone in his arm Thursday night. Joe was at a church meeting so I was putting the kids to bed. They were all ready for bed. We just had to read stories yet. We were all in our sitting area but I missed seeing him jump off of the gliding footstool ( that goes with our glider/rocker).  He right away started crying and said he broke his arm. I obviously didn't know if he really had or not.  After a little bit, he was still crying that it hurt and wouldn't move his arm. I could tell the pain was worse than normal. I texted Joe and asked when he'd be home and thankfully he said he was about done with his meeting. Em came to our house to sit with the girls while they slept and Joe and I took Gibs to Zeeland's Urgent Care.  Sure enough, it was broken.  They think he probably went flying off the thing (since he jumped off a moving object) and caught himself with his hand and that caused impact on his elbow causing it to break. They put a splint on Thursday night and then we got an appointment Friday morning at an orthopedic to put his cast on. Because if how the bone bent when it broke, the doctor isn't positive that a cast would mend it correctly together, so he could need surgery, but hopefully not.  The doctor said he was happy with the X-ray after the cast was on so hopefully it still looks good in a week. He'll have weekly X-rays and should need the cast on for 6 weeks.  Pics are out of order...
Resting comfortably at home.
Enjoying a juice box after getting his cast on. It was sad seeing them set his bones back together. He cried for that, but did well the rest of the appointment. I think I might cry if they had to do that to me!  Neither Joe or I have ever broken a bone so that was new to us.
Happy for the moment (but SO tired from being at the hospital late the night before)        .
With the splint on...
The broken part is dark part on the right side of the top bone at the bottom of it... Like to the right and up a bit from the curser. You can see how the bone tipped down.
X-ray time...

No comments: